Friday, June 12, 2009

Life in "the country"

So today has been our second official week of being in "the country". I don't know if it's really THAT country. Sure, you can't get DSL (thank the Lord for laptop connect cards) but I can still get cell phone service, satellite and I am still within 30 minutes of my local coupon haunts. I'm good.
It's funny how many people have asked us if we are "in the country". My son sure thinks he is. My 12 year old thinks he is farmer John Deere now. He is ready to go to work this summer with any of the many farmers out here that are willing to take him on. He has already planted a garden with corn, cucumbers and tomatoes. Course we all eat corn but only Andy will eat tomatoes or cucumbers (don't get excited...that's the ONLY veggies he will eat). Ben's new room is going to be decorated in John Deere as soon as I can find a set that is cheap enough (oy vey). Meanwhile Abi is rolling her eyes at him every chance she gets. She's a city girl, ya know. Sure she loves the animals out here more than life itself. She got to feed chickens, pet horses, get eggs and all that kind of stuff the other day. She was in heaven. But she's pretty much a paint your nails kind of girl. Meanwhile, they both have found that our neighbors are just amazing people. He was in WWII in France where he met his wife. They got married when she was 17 and moved here after he was wounded. They are the new adopted grandparents. He wants to play them in checkers all the time and she loves to bake with Abi. They remind me of my grandparents and the kinds of things we would do together. I sure do miss them. Especially during lazy days of summer. Sure, I'm a city girl in some ways. I enjoy a good pedicure or massage when I have the money. But I'm also a girl who grew up spending many, many days at her ma-ma and pa-paw's house playing checkers, planting in the garden, sewing by hand, learning to cook, taking walks, picking pecans and all that good stuff. We never went out to eat. But you can bet we ate 3 meals a day and 3 snacks a day!!! We got up by 7am and went to bed by 9pm. And we stayed outside most of the day even in the Florida humidity. Kids these days can't last an hour outside!!! And TV? The only tv we watched was the news and the Grand Ole Opry. I also remember days of going camping (yes I went camping, don't laugh!) down at Stricklands Lake. Used to you could camp with tent or RV. We did both. Cooking out on the grill every night, always having afternoon lightning storms, the smell of Noxzema because you got burnt to a crisp the first day or two out on the dock. Those were the good ole days. Now it's gameboys, Xbox, Wii, four wheelers and tv. I think we all need to get back to the good ole days. Course, I'd still like my internet ;)

No comments:

Jenny Sloan's Facebook profile